Thursday 29 May 2008

Rachel escapes on I'd Do Anything

Rachel Tucker has become the second Irish contestant in a row to barely escape losing her place on the the BBC's talent search I'd Do Anything, surviving a sing-off against Sarah Lark.
Instead, Sarah was the sixth contestant to be eliminated after she and Rachel received the lowest number of votes from the public and Andrew Lloyd Webber decided to save Rachel.
The result followed Niamh Perry's narrow escape from eviction last week, when judge Lloyd-Webber chose to save her instead of Keisha Amponsa-Banson.
The seven remaining contestants sang big band numbers on Saturday's live show, and Sarah's version of 'Mr Bojangles' and Rachel's 'For Once In My Life' were the least popular.
Jessie Buckley and Niamh, the other Irish contestants still in the competition, sang 'The Man That Got Away' and 'They Can't Take That Away From Me' and finished in the top five.
On Sunday's results show, Rachel and Sarah performed 'As If We Never Said Goodbye', from the Lloyd-Webber musical 'Sunset Boulevard' in a sing-off.
Lloyd-Webber said: 'I'm really deeply concerned about you girls as I've been given a real googly again tonight. However thinking about it long and hard I'm going to save Rachel.
'I feel this is my fault because I told you (Sarah) to do "Mr Bojangles" in the way you did and I thought you did it wonderfully, however I have to think as a producer and I do think Rachel was rock solid and there were moments that I did think that maybe you were a bit fragile. But you were wonderful and you did exactly what I asked and I feel dreadful.'
Sarah said: 'I'm gutted to be out of the competition. I've had an absolutely amazing time and wouldn't have changed it for the world.'